The Kaduna State Government has condemned the Sunday night attack on Malagum and Sokwong Communities in the Kaura Local Government Area of the state, which left no fewer than 28 people dead and several others injured.
The PUNCH reported that terrorists on Sunday night reportedly killed over 28 people in separate attacks in Malagum 1 and Sokwong communities of Kagoro Chiefdom in Kaura Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The Council Chairman, Hon. Mathias Siman confirmed the incident to The PUNCH on Monday and said he could only confirm that seven people were gruesomely killed in Sokwong Community.
The attack is coming barely five days after an attack was launched in Malagum 1, leading to three deaths.
The state Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, who conveyed the state government condolence message to the people Malagum and Sokwong Communities, said the development saddened the state.
The commissioner, who claimed several citizens were killed in the attack and houses razed, quoted the governor to have expressed sadness on receiving the reports.
He, however, did not give the exact casualty figures in the attacks.
He said the governor had directed the State Emergency Agency to provide relief materials to the affected communities urgently.
The Commissioner said, “The Kaduna State Government has sent heartfelt condolences to the Malagum and Sokwong communities in Kaura LGA.
“The military and other security agencies reported that bandits attacked the locations and killed several citizens while burning houses and other properties.
“Governor Nasir El-Rufai expressed deep sadness at the report of the incident and prayed for the repose of the souls of those killed while offering condolences to their families.
“The Governor condemned the attacks as inhuman, considering the efforts of government, security forces, the traditional institution, and other critical stakeholders within the last week.
“The Governor has also directed the State Emergency Management Agency to urgently provide relief materials to the communities.
“An urgent security intervention is being conducted by the Defence Headquarters Operation Safe Haven, as the Commander – also the GOC 3 Division Nigerian Army – Major General Ibrahim Ali, and Sector 7 Commander, Colonel Timothy Opurum, are presently in the location.
“The Kaduna State Government will make public further details on the incident as it receives feedback from the security forces.”