Premier League footballer Christian Atsu has been “successfully rescued” from under the rubble of a collapsed building following an earthquake in southern Turkey.
The Ghana Football Association confirmed the news and said the 31-year-old is receiving treatment.
Atsu, who played for Chelsea and Newcastle, was reported missing on Monday after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck Turkey and Syria.
The 31-year-old player was confirmed missing on Monday. The Ghanaian joined Hatayspor last summer – the club’s sporting director Taner Savut is reported to still be trapped.
In the early hours of the morning, an earthquake registering 7.8 on the Richter scale hit Southern Turkey and Northern Syria, causing unimaginable damage on a wide-scale level.
Atsu was known to be one of several people associated with Hatayspor who had not been found in the hours after the initial earthquake, which was followed by numerous after-shocks and tremors, one hitting 7.5.
On Monday night, it was claimed that the Ghanaian had been found, suffering with breathing difficulties and with an injury to his right foot, only for that report to be discredited by Hatayspor.
However, vice-president Mustafa Ozat has now confirmed to Radyo Gol that the 31-year-old had been rescued and was now receiving medical attention.
Taner Savut, the club’s sporting director remains missing, with Turkish sports presenter Yagiz Sabuncuoglu launching an appeal on social media for a crane to be used to assist with his rescue.
He said, “A crane is needed urgently for Ronesans Residence, where Taner Savut is located! The building is on its side. Please! Isn’t there someone to send a crane there? Time is running out!”
On Monday, it was reported that Atsu, formerly of Chelsea and Newcastle United, was located on the ninth floor of the building in question before it collapsed in the aftermath of the earthquake.