ABC Transport has said that it is collaborating with security agencies to rescue one of its drivers and two passengers who were kidnapped by unknown gunmen while en route from Enugu to Abuja.
In a statement obtained by The PUNCH on Tuesday, ABC Transport said the incident occurred around 1.30 pm on Saturday, Ayele Adumu, in Olamaboro Local Government Area of Kogi State.
The transport company said unknown persons blocked and attacked oncoming vehicles amongst which was an ABC Sienna en route from Enugu to Abuja with two passengers.
The statement read in part, “The two passengers and the bus driver were led into the bush alongside other passengers of other vehicles and have since been held hostage.
“ABC Transport is actively cooperating with relevant security agencies to resolve the matter as swiftly as possible.”
There has been a spike in the rate of kidnapping across major highways in the country.
Recently, gunmen abducted a driver, teachers, and pupils of Apostolic Faith Group of Schools, Emure-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
While the teacher and pupils had been freed after an N15m ransom was reportedly paid, the driver was murdered.
Also, the police had arrested 13 suspected kidnappers over the murder of two of three Ekiti monarchs, who were returning from a meeting in Irele-Ekiti on January 29.
ABC Transport stated that its top priority was the safety and well-being of its passengers and crew, and necessary measures were being taken to ensure a prompt and thorough resolution to the issue at hand.
“We understand the concerns raised by the public due to the reports in circulation, and we urge everyone to rely on official statements from ABC Transport for accurate and up-to-date information. Our team is working tirelessly to provide updates as the situation unfolds.
“We appreciate the cooperation of our passengers, stakeholders, and the public in allowing us the time and space to address this matter responsibly.
“We remain committed to maintaining the highest standards of safety and security for our valued passengers and staff,” the transport firm added..
On Monday the Kogi State Police Command had confirmed the incident.
The command’s spokesman, William Ayah, said in a statement that the Divisional Police Officer of the area, along with local vigilantes and hunters, had been in the bush, making efforts to rescue the victims.
The incident involved a GIG bus with 12 passengers and an ABC Transport Sienna bus with two occupants.
However, security operatives successfully rescued the driver of the GIG Motors bus, the spokesman added.
He mentioned that Kogi State Commissioner of Police, CP Bethrand Onuoha, had deployed an additional Tactical Squad, comprising a Quick Response Unit, Police Mobile Force, Counter-Terrorism Unit, and conventional police personnel to the area.
He said they would continue the bush combing operation to ensure the safe and unhurt rescue of all victims.