Kwara records three fire incidents in three days

cad delta fire
cad delta fire

Kwara State Fire Service, in the early hours of Monday, attended to another fire incident which engulfed a three-bedroom bungalow in the Oko-Erin area of Ilorin West Local Government Area of the state.

The early morning inferno, which razed down a building of three-bedroom flats and three shops, as a result of a power outage was the third incident that occurred in Ilorin, the state capital between Saturday and Monday.

Recall that two fire outbreaks, which occurred in various parts of Ilorin on Saturday, had affected the Federal Government Secretariat, Fate area and MM Rodiat Petrol station, Ayegbami junction, Alagbado Ilorin with goods estimated at several millions of naira destroyed.

The state fire service said that the fire at the Federal Secretariat and that of Rodiat Petrol Station were caused by a mechanical fault in a solar panel and a tanker which came to discharge fuel at the petrol station respectively.

Head of Media and Publicity of Kwara State Fire Service, Hassan Adekunle, said that it saved property which included buildings, generators and vehicles estimated at N1.633 billion in the three fire incidents while property lost in the fire was estimated at over N100 million.

Adekunle in a statement said that the Monday incident took place at about 3:24 a.m at No.60 Beside Atoto press Oko-Erin area in Ilorin West Local Government area of Kwara.


“On getting to the scene, we realized that the whole building had been engulfed by the blazing fire due to the late call by the sympathiser.

“Although the conflagration was huge, our firemen were able to demonstrate high level of professionalism and in no time the ravaging inferno was totally extinguished.

“They also damped the surrounding area in order to stop further fire escalation.

“The leading officer of the firemen crew who attended to the incident revealed that the fire was caused due to the power surge,” the statement read.

He said that the Director of Kwara Fire Service, Prince Falade Olumuyiwa, urged the citizens to always cultivate the habit of switching off their electrical appliances even before bedtime.

According to him, this would help them to prevent the chances of fire outbreaks in their various homes, and also help them to drastically reduce it.

Meanwhile, the owner of the shops burnt down, Mrs Bukola Benjamin, said the goods and property lost in the inferno would amount to about five million Naira.

She called on the government and other well-meaning Nigerians to come to her aid as the shops were her only means of livelihood.