Kwara man allegedly sets own house ablaze, blames wife

dada map of kwara state
dada map of kwara state

A man believed to be in his early 50s on Sunday at Eyenkorin in Asa Local Government Area of Kwara State allegedly set his own house on fire.

The house located at Lekki Phase One, Eyenkorin Area in the outskirt of Ilorin, the state capital was deliberately set on fire by the man whose identity was yet to be ascertained and claimed to be its owner.

Punch Metro gathered that the couple who had about four children quarreled and had been leaving separately for about two years.

It was gathered that after the man had left the building, he also asked his wife and the children to pack out of the building. But the wife allegedly ignored her husband’s directive, claiming the house was a joint venture between her and the man.

It was further gathered that following the wife’s refusal to vacate the property, the man on Sunday purchased some litter of petroleum product and sprayed the building.

However, men of the state fire service said that their timely intervention saved the building from total destruction.

Advertisement

Confirming the incident, the Head of Media and Publicity of the Kwara state Fire Service, Hassan Adekunle, said that a man in Eyenkorin neighborhood informed the service about the incident.

According to Adekunle, “This terrible incident occurred this morning, Sunday, July 3, 2022, at about 10:28hrs and one Mr. Kola leaving in the neighborhood was the one who quickly summoned the Brigade for the outbreak.

“The Kwara State Fire Service eliminated the ravaging fire on time and also prevented it from escalating to other buildings.

“According to the report, the man said he deliberately sprayed his own three-bedroom flat with petrol and then set it on fire due to his wife high frustration.”

Adekunle said that some household items belonging to the wife were destroyed in the incident.

He said that the Director of State Fire Service, Prince Falade Olumuyiwa, urged the general public to be more vigilant in their homes or offices so as to save their property from being destroyed by unnecessary fire outbreaks.

Advertisement