The Enugu State Governorship Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the March 11, 2023 election, Dr Peter Mbah, on Sunday said he will deploy technology to tackle the ravaging insecurity in the state if elected.
Mbah, who spoke while featuring in a radio programme with one of the private radio stations in the state, said he would embark on massive employment of youth into productive ventures.
He said that insecurity is driven by unemployment, adding that engaging youths in productive job employment would reduce insecurity by 70 per cent while the remaining 30 per cent would be tackled with technology and security agencies.
“I will also improve the community policing programme through a pragmatic approach,” he said.
On how he will create jobs for the youth, he said, “My administration is going to move Enugu from a public sector driven economy to a private sector driven economy. Our government will be providing an enabling environment.”
He added, “We cannot talk about sustainable development without peace and security, and we cannot talk about peace and security without talking about sustainable development; they are both mutually reinforcing and integrated. The sort of sustainable development we pledge to Ndi Enugu and the prosperity level we want to achieve can only happen if we have peace and security.
“That’s why we’ve taken a broad approach to the issue of security. First, we have the kinetic and the non-kinetic approaches to the issue of security. We know that part of what is responsible for the fragilities and insecurities we have in our communities are largely unemployment and poverty.”