by Richard Ndoma

Applicants of the Youth and Women with Innovations in Nigeria, YouWin, yesterday charged President Goodluck Jonathan to release grant his administration promised them before leaving office. The aggrieved applicants, who expressed worry over the delay to journalists in Calabar, said since they submitted applications and business plans in March this year, no information had come their way from the You- Win office in Abuja as earlier promised. The federal government programme is aimed at tackling the increasing unemployment problem, assist youths create jobs and to boost the nation’s Gross Domestic Product, GDP. Besides, the fourth phase of the applicants also appealed to President Jonathan to release the last phase of grant before May 29, noting that as the programme specified, names of successful applicants were supposed to be released through email and phone lines of applicants 46 days after close of submission notifying them if they qualified or not. They maintained that the 46 days had elapsed without their receiving any information. Even as the youths expressed dismay over their dashed hopes, one of them, Ubi Jesam said, “It is like the present administration does not want to continue with the programme any longer as promised. About 1,200 persons were supposed to benefit from this year’s programme and receive at least N10 million to start their respective businesses. “For instance, I was told by one of the past beneficiaries that names of successful applicants were supposed to be released last month but we have not heard anything. I personally submitted a very good business idea and had begun making preparations, but I see some shifty arrangements by the ministry of finance that is coordinating the programme.” Jesam further pleaded with the government to fulfill the promise made to Nigerians. According to him, “If not, we would conclude that President Jonathan did not do anything to address youth unemployment in his administration as harped by the media and his loyalists.” Another applicant, Olu Abimbola, expressed worry over the delay in release of grant, stressing that she had hoped to become self employed from the grant, as she had a good business plan she would have executed. She also appealed to the President to carry out the promise of creating about 10,000 jobs from the programme

Viewed 1542 times by 617 viewers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation