From Hammed Shittu in Ilorin

No fewer than two persons have been reportedly killed following a communal clash between Bororo-Fulani traders and Yoruba ethnic group in Aro-Ago town in Kwara state.Police-Logo

During the clash, according to THISDAY checks, several property worth millions of naira were destroyed by the attackers.

It was gathered that the attack was allegedly caused by Fulani-Bororo settlers who reportedly flouted an already laid down rule that on no occasion should the settlers bring arms, ammunition or fighting sticks from their settlements on Oro Ago market days.

Eyewitness accounts told journalists in Ilorin on Wednesday that as the Fulani traders entered the market with arms on Monday, the men of the local vigilante team and hunters accosted them, seized the weapons and kept them at a place in Oro Ago town.

Sources said that to the surprise of men of the local vigilante team, the seized weapons were allegedly carted away by the leader of the Fulani people in the area, popularly called Serikin Fulani, who allegedly gave them back to his people.

It was also gathered that, in an attempt to retrieve the weapons from the Fulani, there was a breakdown of law and order as the two groups clashed, resulting in four people sustaining varying degrees of wounds.

One of the youths of the area, Sogo Babarinde, who repairs phones in the market, was reportedly killed by some Fulani people.

Another version of the report said that youth in the area also killed one of the Fulani people, before they were chased away from the community.

At least about 10 motorcycles and five vehicles belonging to some Fulani people were reportedly burnt by irate youth.

Meanwhile, security operatives including military and policemen, as well as men of the local vigilante team have been keeping vigil in the area to restore normalcy and prevent a reprisal attack, just as some people left in the area continued to live in fear.

Contacted yesterday on the ugly development, the state police command Public Relations Officer, (PPRO,) Ajayi Okasanmi who confirmed the incident said that only two persons were killed and not seven as being speculated.

He said that men and officers of the command had been able to restore normalcy in the area after the clash.

He also said that the local government authorities in the area had constituted a committee, comprising the natives and Fulani people to resolve the matter, and prevent a reoccurence.

Viewed 1813 times by 576 viewers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation