Jul 22 2012
By Gbenga Salau
The officer was part of the police unit guarding officials of Kick Against Indiscipline, (KAI) who were enforcing the demolition order of the government.
The Baale of one of the affected communities, Chief Abraham Messou, said the already traumatised evictees were further devastated by the officer’s action, noting that none of the evictees attempted to prevent the Task Force from carrying out the demolition.
According to him, the slain chief was having a meeting with some members of the community in the presence of the Baale of Makoko when the bullet hit him.
Reiterating his view in an earlier chat with The Guardian, Messou explained that those affected had long decided not to confront the government. He said the people had been orderly and law abiding since the onslaught of the demolition squad got underway.
This, he said, was why, the elders ensured the youths of Makoko did not go on the rampage, but merely picked the body of the slain chief and dumped it into the boat the Police brought.
The Baale further said members of the community apprehended the police officer, whose name was given as Corporal Pepple Boma, from Oworo Police Station.
Lagos State Police Public Relation Officer, Ngozi Braide, confirmed the incident in a brief telephone chat with The Guardian.
She however said the officer shot at the deceased while trying to defend himself, when members of the community tried to stop the demolition team from doing its job.
According to the police spokeswoman, the case would be investigated and appropriate action taken.
Viewed 1409 times by 323 viewers0 Latest Posts
- We ‘re cause of our problems in the North – Sultan
- Tukur dares govs, replaces Oyinlola
- First Lady Off to Germany for Medical Check-up
- Court Remands Kaduna Deputy Speaker in EFCC Custody
- Recruitment: Labour Faults Power Ministry’s Move to Engage HR Consultants
- Police Foil Attempt to Defraud Kano of N300m
- Missing key stalls Ikuforiji’s trial
- Ogun recruits 725 into state public service
- Govs demand role in helicopter crash probe
- How Ajimobi won 2011 Oyo gov poll – Tokyo