Jul 30 2012
By Agency Reporter
Ashiru told the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja that the evacuees complied with government’s directive to leave Syria.
The minister advised other Nigerians to vacate the Middle East nation.
“We have evacuated quite a lot of Nigerians from Syria, it was not an airlift exercise like we did in the case of Libya because they are very few.
“From the report I got, those moved so far are less than 50, long before the situation deteriorated we advised them to move.
“Some have decided to stay behind but it is their choice,’’ he stated.
The minister also said the families of the Charge d’Affairs and officials at the embassy had been relocated to Lebanon.
NAN recalls that the Syrian conflict began on March 15, 2011 with public demonstrations as part of the wider Arab spring and developed into a nationwide uprising.
Nigeria and Syria established diplomatic ties in 1961.
Viewed 1884 times by 543 viewers0 Latest Posts
- We ‘re cause of our problems in the North – Sultan
- Tukur dares govs, replaces Oyinlola
- First Lady Off to Germany for Medical Check-up
- Court Remands Kaduna Deputy Speaker in EFCC Custody
- Recruitment: Labour Faults Power Ministry’s Move to Engage HR Consultants
- Police Foil Attempt to Defraud Kano of N300m
- Missing key stalls Ikuforiji’s trial
- Ogun recruits 725 into state public service
- Govs demand role in helicopter crash probe
- How Ajimobi won 2011 Oyo gov poll – Tokyo