Jul 16 2012
by David Attah, Kaduna
The call came on the heels of an attack on Mahuta village on the outskirt of Kaduna on Saturday by suspected Boko Haram members. One person was reportedly killed in the attack.
The Police Public Relations Officer in Kaduna, Aminu Lawan, who confirmed the incident, said two gunmen were apprehended in connection with the attack by residents.
An eyewitness told our correspondent that the gunmen had gained access to the residence of the village head but the monarch jumped the fence and escaped.
The quick intervention of youths of the area was said to have saved the situation as the youths confronted the gunmen and in the process seven of the residents were shot.
The statement by its Secretary-General, Dr. Khalid Aliyu, read in part, “In the light of what ensued, we call on all Muslims to be vigilant and be more fervent in prayers for peace and harmony to return to Borno the land of Qur’an memorisers and by extension Nigerian.”
Meanwhile, residents of the Gonin-gora community in the southern part of Kaduna on Sunday dismissed called by the Emir of Katsina on the Federal Government to demolish the settlement following the reprisals in the wake of the violence in the state last month.
However, spokesman for the residents, Mr. Sunday Ibrahim, at a news conference insisted that the call was uncalled for.
He said, “Gonin-Gora is a mini-Nigeria with people of different Nigerian ethnic nationalities such as the Gbagyi, the Igbo, the Igala, the Yoruba, the Tiv, the Nupe, the Atyap, the Efik, the Ijaw, the Calabari, the Ham-Jaba people, the Itsekiri, the Uroboh, the Idoma, the Bachama, the Adara people, the Bajju, the Zurus and infact the Hausa Fulani Christians.”
Viewed 1141 times by 416 viewers0 Latest Posts
- We ‘re cause of our problems in the North – Sultan
- Tukur dares govs, replaces Oyinlola
- First Lady Off to Germany for Medical Check-up
- Court Remands Kaduna Deputy Speaker in EFCC Custody
- Recruitment: Labour Faults Power Ministry’s Move to Engage HR Consultants
- Police Foil Attempt to Defraud Kano of N300m
- Missing key stalls Ikuforiji’s trial
- Ogun recruits 725 into state public service
- Govs demand role in helicopter crash probe
- How Ajimobi won 2011 Oyo gov poll – Tokyo