Jun 9 2012
From Anietie Akpan, Calabar
Brown, who was in Calabar, the state capital as Mrs. Oboima’s guest, undertook a tour of some centres dedicated to the core needs of deprived children. They included refuge homes, shelters for abandoned babies and pregnant teenagers and Destiny’s Child Centre (DCC), Anantigha, a rehabilitation centre for erstwhile street children.
Brown expressed joy over what Mrs Imoke is doing for the less privileged, especially the children. She encouraged the children to focus on education, saying it is the foundation for their future lives.
“I am pleased to be here. I know that in Cross River State, education is free, but this is not the same everywhere in Nigeria, and it is not true all over the world. This is why Her Excellency and I are working together with many other people to ensure that every child in the world has a chance to get an education.
“I am glad that Her Excellency has brought me to this special place. All of you have started with the toughest challenge, but for the fact that you have found your way to this place, I congratulate you for taking on the challenge of taking control of your destiny. You are very, very brave children, and I congratulate you for that,” Mrs Brown said.
Receiving the visitors at the centre, DCC’s Project Manager, Mr. Gerald Omeze thanked Mrs Brown and her team, saying she is the most prominent person the centre has received since it was established.
Shortly after, Mrs Brown was led on a tour of the facility by Mrs Imoke who took time to shed more light on DCC’s progress, how some of the children at the centre are already in various schools while others have completed their skills acquisition courses in different fields and at the verge of integrating into the society as fully equipped Nigerians ready to contribute to nation building.
Viewed 988 times by 319 viewers0 Latest Posts
- We ‘re cause of our problems in the North – Sultan
- Tukur dares govs, replaces Oyinlola
- First Lady Off to Germany for Medical Check-up
- Court Remands Kaduna Deputy Speaker in EFCC Custody
- Recruitment: Labour Faults Power Ministry’s Move to Engage HR Consultants
- Police Foil Attempt to Defraud Kano of N300m
- Missing key stalls Ikuforiji’s trial
- Ogun recruits 725 into state public service
- Govs demand role in helicopter crash probe
- How Ajimobi won 2011 Oyo gov poll – Tokyo