Oct 29 2012
BY PETER DURU, MAKURDI
Maku also identified bitter rivalries and unhealthy competition among political stakeholders as a major impediment to political stability, growth and development in the country’s democratic journey.The Minister stated this Monday when he led a contingent of newsmen on the good governance tour of Benue State to pay a courtesy call on Governor Gabriel Suswam in Makurdi.
He however noted that despite the noticeable hinderances to sustainable growth and development in the country, Nigeria has made progress since the return of democratic rule in the country.
He said, “In the 13 years of democratic rule in Nigeria, we have made a lot of progress, but has this been sufficient? It is no; the reasons for this is not far fetched, politicians engaging in bitter rivalries rather than playing by the rules”.
“Politics in Nigeria in even rougher than what we have in the United States of America where elections are just few days away. Nigerians must not fails to realize that democracy is in itself an evolving process and the game must be played decently and by the rules”, he added.
In his speech Governor Gabriel Suswam blames the political upheaval in the country to ignorance and the people’s gullibility to lies and deceit by the political class.
“There is lots of ignorance and deceit in the system; people are not aware of what the government is doing and efforts geared towards development. And in some cases the benefiting public repose little trust and belief in the government, their attitude is that of cynicism and negativity”.
“That is why all efforts by government is not appreciated by the people”, he added.
Viewed 632 times by 283 viewers1 Latest Posts
- We ‘re cause of our problems in the North – Sultan
- Tukur dares govs, replaces Oyinlola
- First Lady Off to Germany for Medical Check-up
- Court Remands Kaduna Deputy Speaker in EFCC Custody
- Recruitment: Labour Faults Power Ministry’s Move to Engage HR Consultants
- Police Foil Attempt to Defraud Kano of N300m
- Missing key stalls Ikuforiji’s trial
- Ogun recruits 725 into state public service
- Govs demand role in helicopter crash probe
- How Ajimobi won 2011 Oyo gov poll – Tokyo