•Says we’ll rescue the abducted girls
National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (retd), on Tuesday, gave assurance that the Federal Government was making every effort to ensure that over 200 girls from Chibok Secondary School in Borno State, who were abducted by Boko Haram terrorists, are rescued.
The NSA, who spoke on the first anniversary of the abduction of the Chibok girls, also, promised that Sambisa Forest, the fortress of Boko Haram terrorists and one of their last remaining camps, would be stormed and liberated before the May 29 presidential handover date.
According to him, “right now, all Boko Haram camps, except Sambisa Forest have been destroyed,” stressing that the forest would have since been liberated, but for the unfavourable weather condition prevailing in the area, adding that all needed reconnaissance activity and necessary deployment of troops had been made for the operation. Read More →
Viewed 655 times by 168 viewers
The Federal Government has pointed out that the recent efforts of the military, which has led to the routing of Boko Haram from most of the territories that were formerly under their control will amount to nothing, until the abducted Chibok schoolgirls are rescued alive.
Director-General, National Orientation Agency (NOA), Mr Mike Omeri, on Tuesday, stated this during a meeting with representatives of the Chibok community at the finance headquarters in Abuja.
Omeri, who spoke to the representatives, said the government had always considered the task of rescuing the girls a ‘top national priority’. Read More →
Viewed 513 times by 144 viewers
The President-elect, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Tuesday said his administration would restore military cooperation with the United States of America.
In an article published by the New York Times in its Tuesday edition, Buhari promised to among other things reformed the military.
The outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan-led administration had cancelled the training component of its military cooperation with the US citing a lack of sincerity on the part of the Americans for its decision. Read More →
Viewed 405 times by 139 viewers
Being an opinion article by President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari, as published in yesterday’s edition of New York Times.
ABUJA— When Boko Haram attacked a school in the town of Chibok, in northeastern Nigeria, kidnapping more than 200 girls, on the night of April 14, 2014, the people of my country were aghast. Across the world, millions of people joined them in asking: How was it possible for this terrorist group to act with such impunity? It took nearly two weeks before the government even commented on the crime.
This lack of reaction was symptomatic of why the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan was swept aside last month – the first time an incumbent president has been successfully voted out of office in the history of our nation. For too long they ruled, not governed, and in doing so had become so focused on their own self-interest and embroiled in corruption that the duty to react to the anguish suffered by their citizens had become alien to them. Read More →
Viewed 313 times by 98 viewers
Damilola Oyedele and Adebiyi Adedapo
. 219 girls stage march to education ministry
. FG committed to their rescue, says Okonjo- Iweala
. Dasuki: Military to liberate Sambisa Forest before May 29
Tuesday, the world rose in unison to mark the first anniversary of the kidnapping of over 200 girls from Government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State, by the terror group, Boko Haram, with Denmark, the United Kingdom, Ireland, the European Union, UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon, and even a Nigerian family in the North pole, showing solidarity with the families of the abducted schoolgirls and the #BringBackOurGirls (BBOG) group, which has kept their ordeal a burning global issue.
There were also solidarity rallies in the UK, France and other countries to push for the rescue of the Chibok Girls.
A year ago, Boko Haram insurgents invaded the school’s dormitory and kidnapped 276 girls, who were taking their West African School Certificate examination. Of the 276 abducted girls, 57 escaped captivity, but the whereabouts of 219 have remained unknown despite the pledge by a global coalition to help rescue the girls. Read More →
Viewed 329 times by 100 viewers
Nigeria’s president-elect Muhammadu Buhari cautioned Tuesday that he could not make promises on the return of 219 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram exactly a year ago.
“We do not know if the Chibok girls can be rescued. Their whereabouts remain unknown. As much as I wish to, I cannot promise that we can find them,” he said in a statement.
“But I say to every parent, family member and friend of the children that my government will do everything in its power to bring them home.”
Buhari’s statement on the first anniversary of the girls’ abduction from the northeastern state of Borno on April 14 last year contrasts markedly with that of outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan and his government.
The military said last year that they knew where the teenagers were being held but ruled out a rescue operation because of the dangers to the hostages.Jonathan, who was widely criticised for failing to respond to the crisis, has repeatedly said the girls will be returned, without offering any details.
But Buhari, who defeated Jonathan in a historic election two weeks ago after campaigning against the president’s record on security, said there was a need for “honesty” about the girls’ fate and the insurgency.
The 72-year-old promised: “When my new administration takes office at the end of May, we will do everything we can to defeat Boko Haram. Read More →
Viewed 761 times by 237 viewers
by INUSA NDAHI
Nigerian soldiers on Tuesday succeeded in flushing out Boko Haram from camps located in Alagarno village of Sambisa forest.
This was contained in a press statement signed by Acting Director, Public Relations, Army headquarters, Colonel Sani Usman, and made available to our correspondent.
Usman said: “This morning, troops of the Nigerian Army along with support from the Nigerian Air Force cleared the last camp of Boko Haram terrorists in Alagarno forest located between Kaga and Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State, which links Yobe and Gombe states.
“The key terrorists’ camp within the forest includes Falluja and Timbuktu camps, which have all been cleared.
“So far, a lot of recoveries including armoured fighting vehicles and computers were made. Troops are now mopping up the general area. And as soon as we get other details, we will inform the press,” he stated.
Viewed 709 times by 150 viewers