Posted by: Duku Joel
It was another bad day for Boko Haram – the fundamentalist sect responsible for the insurgency in some parts of the North – yesterday.
A member, who is believed to be the field commander of the sect’s leader, Abubakar Shekau, was shot dead in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, in a gun duel.
Also killed were 30 other members. Ten others were arrested.
The JTF, which announced the killings, also said it recovered arms and ammunition from the sect’s hideout.
Also in Yobe, gunmen believed to be members of the sect, opened fire on residents of a village and killed two people. Many others were injured.
In Borno State, three Chinese construction workers were killed.
Killed in Damaturu was a man called Bakaka, who is believed to be the field command of the Boko Haram sect.
In a statement, JTF spokesman Lt. Eli Lazarus said Bakaka was killed alongside 30 sect members. Ten members were arrested after a search at a hideout in Khandahar in the state capital.
The statement said: “In the early hours of Sunday, 7th October 2012, men of JTF in Damaturu, Yobe State on cordon and search operation in suspected Boko Haram hideout at Kandahar and the cemetery areas of Damaturu, engaged in a gun battle with the suspected terrorists.
“About thirty (30) suspected Boko Haram Terrorists were killed in the battle which lasted several hours. In the battle, the notorious, one-eyed Bakaka, the field commander of Boko Haram in Damaturu and a close associate of Abubakar Shekau, was killed. Ten (10) others arrested during the battle are presently assisting investigators to track other senior members of the terrorist group.
“Six (6) rifles, ninety (90) rounds of ammunition, several handsets and sim packs were recovered. Other items recovered include; knives, bows and arrows, diggers, knives and two (2) keke napep tricycles. Also, three (3) cans of IEDs recovered were detonated.”
He said the success so far recorded in the operation shows the cooperation of the residents, adding: “JTF wishes to appreciate the support so far received from the peace-loving and law-abiding people of Yobe State, urging them to volunteer more information that will lead to arrest of other suspected terrorists. JTF further requests that people should remain calm and go about their lawful activities as efforts are geared towards ensuring the safety of lives and property.”
The statement also announced the appointment of Colonel I.S. Ali as the new Commander of the JTF in Yobe state.
Ali is to take over from Colonel Dahiru Abdulsalam who proceeds to Defence College for further military studies. Until his recent appointment, Colonel Ali was a Deputy Director at the Army Headquarters Department of Training and Operations (DATOPS).
Two people were killed when unknown gunmen opened fire on residents of a village in Yobe, Police Commissioner Patrick Egbuniwe said yesterday.
“So far we have confirmed two people killed on Saturday by these criminals who went about shooting indiscriminately in the village,” Patrick Egbuniwe told AFP.
The gunmen stormed Dogon Kuka village and opened fire on residents, he said.
“The JTF (Joint Task Force) has deployed there and we are awaiting comprehensive details of casualties,” Egbuniwe said.
He declined to say if the attackers were members of the Boko Haram.
The village, inhabited mainly by Muslims, is about 70km from Damaturu, the state capital.
Suspected Boko Haram men reportedly shot and killed three Chinese construction workers in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
The incident occurred on Saturday afternoon in Gubio Local Government Area, about 89 kilometers from Maiduguri, Premium Times reported.
The Chinese are said to be working for a construction company, working on several projects in the state.
Reports indicate that the victims, who regularly visited local markets, were shot as they patronised a local market.
Kaduna State Police Command yesterday confirmed the killing of two people in Zaria by gunmen at a pub.
Kaduna police spokesman Aminu Lawal, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Zaria, Kaduna State, that the incident, in which one other person was injured, took place on Saturday night along King’s Road, Sabon-Gari area of the town.
Lawal said security operatives were on the trail of the gunmen, adding that there were clues that would assist the police in tracking down the killers.
While applauding the people for reporting the incident, he urged them to be more security conscious and to promptly report any suspicious characters in their midst.
An eyewitness told NAN that the gunmen came in a vehicle and opened fire on their victims at the pub.
“The incident led to the death of two people and another was rushed to the hospital for medical attention.
“The security agents were alerted and they responded promptly. The security personnel pursued the killers but I can’t say what happened next.”
Viewed 1517 times by 517 viewers