Deadly group, Boko Haram is offering to free more than 200 young women and girls kidnapped from a boarding school in the town of Chibok in exchange for the release of militant leaders held by the government. According to an activist, who pleaded anonymity with an international news agency because he was not authorized to talk to reporters on the sensitive issue, it was revealed that Boko Haram’s current offer is limited to the girls from the school in northeastern Nigeria whose mass abduction in April 2014.boko haram

“The new initiative reopens an offer made last year to the government of former President Goodluck Jonathan to release the 219 students in exchange for 16 Boko Haram detainees, the activist said.

He said the 5-week-old administration of President Muhammadu Buhari offers “a clean slate” to bring the militants back to negotiations that had become poisoned by the different security agencies and their advice to Jonathan. Read More →

Viewed 1437 times by 586 viewers



 

Abuja – Sheikh Muhammad Khalid, the Chief Imam of Apo Legislator’s Quarter’s Jumat Mosque has cancelled the special i’tikaaf prayer normally observed by Muslims during the last 10 days of Ramadan in that Mosque.

I’tikaaf is a special prayer offered my Muslims during the last 10 days of Ramadan.

During that period, a Muslim is required to retire to the Mosque and remain in seclusion solely with the intention of offering prayers and supplication to Allah.

Khalid announced the cancellation of the prayer in an interview in Abuja on Wednesday.

He said the move had become necessary following increased insecurity in the country.

He added that “everyone can testify to the fact that insecurity is becoming higher; bombings have become the order of the day in the North, especially in the North Eastern part of the country.

“We need to join hands with government to do whatever we can possibly do in our capability to tackle it headlong. Read More →

Viewed 833 times by 397 viewers



Posted By: Rotimi FADEYI

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that his government would only negotiate with the Boko Haram sect from a position of strength and not of weakness.Femi-Adesina

Buhari had in his inaugural speech on May 29 said priority of his government was to tackle the sect and put an end to insurgency in the country.

Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina in a statement issued yesterday said the government would not be averse to negotiation with the sect.

According to him, most wars, however furious or vicious, often end around the negotiation table. Read More →

Viewed 979 times by 516 viewers



Tony Okafor


Following the relocation of Boko Haram detainees to the Ekwulobia Prisons in Anambra State, the military have taken over the security of the facility.

SUNDAY PUNCH investigations showed that security operations in the Federal Government facility are no longer the exclusive preserve of the officials of the Nigeria Prison Service.Soldiers

The development, sources told our correspondent, is not unconnected with the calibre of the detainees being held behind the walls of the facility.

A visit by our correspondent to the prison on Saturday showed that armed military personnel were located in strategic locations around the prison. Read More →

Viewed 825 times by 391 viewers




On Saturday, 4 October, 2013, Bauchi, capital of Bauchi State, was experiencing an unusually cold weather. At the Old GRA, a suburb of the city, Ismaila Gambo, a 21-year-old with a neatly trimmed beard got up at dawn and headed to a nearby mosque for his morning prayers. He wore a grey sweatshirt atop a pair of jeans and boots.boko-haram

Ismaila’s dressing suggested that he was off to some high-energy work. But he was actually headed for Maiduguri, capital of Borno State where he believed he was to carry out a self-appointed divine assignment.

Upstairs, in a bedroom in the Gambos’ home, a duplex, his 17–year-old sister, Khadija, said her own prayers. She was dressed in a long gown and wore a headscarf as she waited for her brother to return. Read More →

Viewed 640 times by 336 viewers



 

Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra has reassured that he is on top of the relocation of Boko Haram suspects to Ekwulobia prisons in the state.Governor-Willie-Obiano

This was contained in a statement signed by Mr James Eze, Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Media, in Awka on Saturday.

According to the statement, the governor is still speaking with the relevant authorities to ensure a peaceful resolution of the issue.

“Obiano’s commitment to this extremely sensitive issue remains the same. Read More →

Viewed 332 times by 201 viewers



Michael Olugbode


The Borno State commissioner of Police, Mr. Aderemi Opadokun, has confirmed Friday’s Boko Haram attacks on Borno towns, which he said involved six female suicide bombers.

In a text message to the enquiry on the incident by our correspondent, the commissioner said there was an attack by the terrorists on Zabamari village, near Dusuman village in Jere local government area at about 1855hrs of 3/7/15. Read More →

Viewed 293 times by 180 viewers