There was massive gunfire fight between troops in the convoy of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai and scores of Boko Haram terrorists who attempted to ambush the Army Chief during an operational visit to troop’s location in the epicenter of the counter insurgency battle on Saturday.
The ambush of the Army Chief’s convoy by the terrorists according to a statement issued in Maiduguri and signed by Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, occurred at Faljari village between Mafa and Dikwa
At the end of the hot exchange, 10 Boko Haram terrorists were killed, 5 terrorists were captured, and one soldier was killed while one officer and 4 other soldiers sustained severe gunshot injuries. Read More →
Viewed 2419 times by 1056 viewers
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday reaffirmed his conviction that the end of the Boko Haram insurgency is in sight with the new vigour the war against terrorism is being prosecuted by Nigeria and her allies.
Speaking during an audience with Mr. Mousa Faki Mahamat, the Chadian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Special Envoy of President Idris Deby, President Buhari said with higher morale among troops fighting the Boko Haram militants and their improved logistics, equipment and training, a rapid end to the insurgency should be expected. Read More →
Viewed 3126 times by 1236 viewers
By Senator Iroegbu in Abuja
Intensifies efforts against militancy, oil bunkering
With the battle against Boko Haram yielding the desired results, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said it has put in place a joint operation of the army and air force to combat incidences of cattle rustling in the Kamuku Forest in the Northwest and what it termed as “homeland crimes” in various parts of the country.
The Director of the Defence Information (DDI), Col. Rabe Abubakar said that the operation, which “has so far routed out daredevil cattle thieves from the forest and recovered large herds of cows will be sustained until the forbidden forest is free of criminals and criminal activities”.
According to Abubakar, “The need to establish the joint operation has become very necessary because criminals, miscreants and barefaced common thugs have taken over the forest thus constituting themselves into a nuisance to Nigerians living in the area”. Read More →
Viewed 1719 times by 797 viewers
Posted By: AYO ESAN
Pastor of Soul Winning Church and President of Ecclectic Network, Rev. Moses Iloh, in this interview with Ayo Esan, assesses President Muhammadu Buhari’s activities in government since May 29 and says he is on the right track.
How would you assess President Muhammadu Buhari’s government since the inauguration on May 29?
He is being constructive and watching his steps, I think his performance since May 29 that he came to power shows high level of wisdom and intelligence. Though Nigerians will like to rush him out but I think he is sufficiently experienced and he is going step by step and I am very impressed with the way he is handling the problems of Nigeria. The problems in the country are enormous and if he tries to run through them, they may run him out. I think the way he is going about it shows maturity and he is making an effort to be near thorough. Read More →
Viewed 4375 times by 1475 viewers
Contrary to assertions by Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh, the former Chief of Defence Staff, the immediate past National Security Adviser Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd) on Thursday affirmed that the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan acquired sophisticated weapons which helped the Nigerian Armed Forces recovered many local governments that had been occupied by Boko Haram terrorists, especially in the past one year.
Badeh had during the pull out ceremony organized for him last week asserted that the reasons why the armed forces was able to defeat Boko Haram, the insurgent group whose terrorist activities in the Northeast part of the country have led to death of over 50,000 Nigerians by some accounts was because the soldiers lacked the relevant equipment and motivation to fight the terrorists.
The former Chief of Defence Staff who was sacked by President Muhammadu Buhari on 13, July also pointed out that refusal of some countries to sell weapons necessary to prosecute the war against Boko Haram worsened the problem for the military.But Sambo has allegedly been under investigations over the management of funds budgeted for purchase of armaments during the immediate past administration of President Jonathan which Badeh also served contradicted the former CDS in an interview he granted PRNigeria, a website which the military regularly uses to publicize its activities.
Sambo who was sacked the same day as Badeh was quoted on the website as listing some of the sophisticated equipment bought for the military in the last one year of Jonathan’s administration to include Alpha jets, APCs, MRAP vehicles, advanced artillery pieces, assorted arms and ammunitions, highly sophisticated surveillance drones, T72 while the country also carried out modification of F7 supersonic jet fighters to fit the purpose of the fight against Boko Haram insurgents. Read More →
Viewed 4178 times by 1733 viewers
The Nigerian Army on Sunday announced that it is reviewing the cases of all soldiers who were disciplined for various offences.
Dozens of soldiers have been sentenced to death, life imprisonment and other punishment for various offences including mutiny, desertion, and disobedience of lawful orders. Majority of the sentences, carried out in various military courts, have been appealed by counsel to the affected officials and condemned by local and international rights groups.
However, on Sunday, the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Sani Usman, said the army was itself already reviewing the punishments. Read More →
Viewed 2935 times by 1430 viewers
Maiduguri – The Borno Police Command on Sunday confirmed the killing of seven persons after suspected Boko Haram terrorists attack on Malari village in Konduga Local Government Area (LGA) of Bornio.
Mr Aderemi Opadokun, the Commissioner of Police, stated this while speaking with newsmen in Maiduguri.
“Information available indicates that suspected terrorists attacked Malari village in Konduga local government area on Saturday around 22:30 hours.
“The attackers burnt down some houses and killed seven persons in the village situated along Konduga-Maiduguri road,” Opadokun said.
He said that security agents had already commenced investigations on the issue.
Viewed 2738 times by 1294 viewers