Posted By: AYO ESAN
Pastor of Soul Winning Church and President of Ecclectic Network, Rev. Moses Iloh, in this interview with Ayo Esan, assesses President Muhammadu Buhari’s activities in government since May 29 and says he is on the right track.
How would you assess President Muhammadu Buhari’s government since the inauguration on May 29?
He is being constructive and watching his steps, I think his performance since May 29 that he came to power shows high level of wisdom and intelligence. Though Nigerians will like to rush him out but I think he is sufficiently experienced and he is going step by step and I am very impressed with the way he is handling the problems of Nigeria. The problems in the country are enormous and if he tries to run through them, they may run him out. I think the way he is going about it shows maturity and he is making an effort to be near thorough. Read More →
Viewed 1610 times by 677 viewers
Contrary to assertions by Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh, the former Chief of Defence Staff, the immediate past National Security Adviser Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd) on Thursday affirmed that the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan acquired sophisticated weapons which helped the Nigerian Armed Forces recovered many local governments that had been occupied by Boko Haram terrorists, especially in the past one year.
Badeh had during the pull out ceremony organized for him last week asserted that the reasons why the armed forces was able to defeat Boko Haram, the insurgent group whose terrorist activities in the Northeast part of the country have led to death of over 50,000 Nigerians by some accounts was because the soldiers lacked the relevant equipment and motivation to fight the terrorists.
The former Chief of Defence Staff who was sacked by President Muhammadu Buhari on 13, July also pointed out that refusal of some countries to sell weapons necessary to prosecute the war against Boko Haram worsened the problem for the military.But Sambo has allegedly been under investigations over the management of funds budgeted for purchase of armaments during the immediate past administration of President Jonathan which Badeh also served contradicted the former CDS in an interview he granted PRNigeria, a website which the military regularly uses to publicize its activities.
Sambo who was sacked the same day as Badeh was quoted on the website as listing some of the sophisticated equipment bought for the military in the last one year of Jonathan’s administration to include Alpha jets, APCs, MRAP vehicles, advanced artillery pieces, assorted arms and ammunitions, highly sophisticated surveillance drones, T72 while the country also carried out modification of F7 supersonic jet fighters to fit the purpose of the fight against Boko Haram insurgents. Read More →
Viewed 2306 times by 965 viewers
The Nigerian Army on Sunday announced that it is reviewing the cases of all soldiers who were disciplined for various offences.
Dozens of soldiers have been sentenced to death, life imprisonment and other punishment for various offences including mutiny, desertion, and disobedience of lawful orders. Majority of the sentences, carried out in various military courts, have been appealed by counsel to the affected officials and condemned by local and international rights groups.
However, on Sunday, the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Sani Usman, said the army was itself already reviewing the punishments. Read More →
Viewed 1534 times by 768 viewers
Maiduguri – The Borno Police Command on Sunday confirmed the killing of seven persons after suspected Boko Haram terrorists attack on Malari village in Konduga Local Government Area (LGA) of Bornio.
Mr Aderemi Opadokun, the Commissioner of Police, stated this while speaking with newsmen in Maiduguri.
“Information available indicates that suspected terrorists attacked Malari village in Konduga local government area on Saturday around 22:30 hours.
“The attackers burnt down some houses and killed seven persons in the village situated along Konduga-Maiduguri road,” Opadokun said.
He said that security agents had already commenced investigations on the issue.
Viewed 1515 times by 764 viewers
Chief Martin Onovo is the presidential candidate of National Conscience Party (NCP) in the last election. In this interview with Ifeoma Ononye, he bares his mind on the supposed dialogue with Boko Haram.The Federal Government has accepted to dialogue with the terrorist sect, Boko Haram, because of the abducted Chibok girls, do you think there is need for this dialogue?
The Constitution of Nigeria is very clear that the primary purpose of government is the security and welfare of the people. The government must on all issues, seek to improve the security and welfare of the people. The war against Boko Haram has been on for a few years and we had expected that our armed forces will defeat Boko Haram in a few months with the State of Emergency that was proclaimed by the Federal Government. But our ineffective Federal Government delayed necessary actions till a few months before the 2015 general elections when a serious offensive against Boko Haram was conducted by our military forces. Read More →
Viewed 1042 times by 470 viewers
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) on Sunday said its fighter jets has successfully combined with ground troops to repel the latest Boko Haram attack on Bita village in Borno State.
This is confirmed in a statement issued by the Director of Public Relations and Information, NAF Headquarters, Air Commodore Dele Alonge.
He said a large number of insurgents were killed in the operation, carried out by Nigerian forces in the area.
Alonge said the Nigerian Air Force would continued to provide combat air support to the ground force in all operations carried out by Nigerian troops in the northeast. Read More →
Viewed 1011 times by 465 viewers
Written by Hamisu Kabir Matazu, Damaturu
Suicide bombings were relatively few in Yobe State up to the second week of July, only to pick up between July 17 and 26 when three incidents occurred, claiming 42 lives and inflicting injuries on at least 90 others.
At least 42 people were killed and about 90 injured in three separate attacks which occurred in Damaturu, the capital of Yobe State, within 10 days. The period witnessed an upsurge in suicide bomb attacks, heightening tension in the town, especially among the hapless citizens who have either become victims or live in fear that they could be affected sooner than later if the trend continues.
The attacks occurred on July 17, 20 and 26. On July 17 when millions of Nigerians were celebrating Sallah, Suicide bombers stormed Damaturu and detonated explosives simultaneously in two separate locations, killing 15 people and injuring 41 ahead of the Eid prayer that marked the end of the month-long Ramadan fasting.
Daily Trust on Saturday observed that the blasts coincided with the visit of the new Chief of Army Staff, Major General Tukur Yusuf Buratai. The blasts occurred barely 24 hours after Buratai had arrived Damaturu to assess the readiness of troops and equipment to effectively combat insurgency in the Yobe State. Read More →
Viewed 930 times by 443 viewers