Jun 7 2012
By Sulaimon Salau
A CO-PILOT at DANA Air, Mr. Amaechi Obodo, whose photograph was published among the crash victims yesterday, is indeed alive, hale and hearty.
Also, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) yesterday said its Legal Adviser/Company Secretary, Mr. Tony Madichie, was not on board the DANA Air aircraft, which crashed in Lagos last Sunday, hence “he is alive.”
In a statement yesterday, General Manager, Media Relations Department of the Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Omar Ibrahim, said Madichie was “hale and hearty.”
Ibrahim said although Madichie bought a ticket for the ill-fated flight, he did not make it to the plane.
Obodo, an indigene of Delta State, said he did not fly with the doomed aircraft because he was off duty from Friday to Sunday.
The co-pilot’s picture was erroneously published in The Guardian yesterday with other casualties of the crash.
But in a telephone interview, Obodo said: “I’m alive. I did not fly on that day, I was with my mum throughout.”
However, Obodo lamented the loss of lives in the crash and spoke glowingly of his lost colleagues, saying: “I loved them dearly. We were on duty together and it is very unfortunate that I lost them that way. May their souls rest in perfect peace.”
The co-pilot however denied the allegation of negligence levelled against DANA Air over the incident.
His words: “My Airline is the best in the country. I can confidently say that because we are the people that work there. People are just spreading rumours about DANA Air. It is unfortunate it happened that way, nobody could have prayed for it to happen,”
On the allegations that the plane was faulty, Obodo said: “The report of the investigations would clear the issue. We need to wait for the result of the black box.”
The Guardian regrets the mix-up that led to the use of his photograph.
Viewed 1922 times by 634 viewers0 Latest Posts
- We ‘re cause of our problems in the North – Sultan
- Tukur dares govs, replaces Oyinlola
- First Lady Off to Germany for Medical Check-up
- Court Remands Kaduna Deputy Speaker in EFCC Custody
- Recruitment: Labour Faults Power Ministry’s Move to Engage HR Consultants
- Police Foil Attempt to Defraud Kano of N300m
- Missing key stalls Ikuforiji’s trial
- Ogun recruits 725 into state public service
- Govs demand role in helicopter crash probe
- How Ajimobi won 2011 Oyo gov poll – Tokyo