Aug 6 2012
From Njadvara Musa, Damaturu
This came barely 48 hours after the bombing of the Potiskum Central Mosque (PCM) in Yobe State.
Besides, the alleged killings of residents in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, have remained unabated, as a former state Commissioner of Environment, Alhaji Kadiri Kaza’a and a senior officer with the Nigeria Immigration Services (NIS), Mohammed Lawan, were yesterday shot dead at their residences before their wives and children at Bayan Railway Quarters and Gwange wards of the metropolis.
The suicide car bomber in the SUV, according to an eyewitness drove to a military checkpoint, detonated the explosives and killed six men of the JTF and two passersby.
He said: “The suicide-bomber took the soldiers by surprise, that is why the lone suspected Boko Haram bomber, was able to blow up one of the military checkpoints at the Shagari Quarters, killing eight people. The sound of the blast was also devastating.”
Speaking on the blasts yesterday in Damaturu, the state capital, Police Commissioner, Patrick Egbuniwe said that the blast occurred at the Shagari Quarters military checkpoint at about 12.30p.m., killing six soldiers and two civilians caught up in the blast.
Egbuniwe further disclosed that “the incident occurred when one Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) was stopped at the military post at a residential quarters, but the driver of the vehicle detonated the bombs installed in the vehicle and blew up six soldiers and two civilians that were about passing the checkpoint this afternoon.”
Confirming the multiple attacks and killings yesterday in Maiduguri, the Borno State Police Public Relations Officer, Gidieon Jibrin said the retired government official and immigration officer attached to the Passport Office at the Customs Area were yesterday morning
trailed to their respective residences by suspected gunmen.
He said when the gunmen got to their homes in Bayan Quarters and Gwange wards of the metropolis, they asked for the whereabouts of Kaza’a and Lawan.
He added that the suspects who disguised as errands boys opened fire and shot them dead at close range in the chests and heads before their family members yesterday.
On whether arrests were made, he said no, but
that investigations had commenced, as information provided by some residents could assist in apprehending the suspected assassins.
It was learnt that the two affected wards had already been condoned off by JTF and the police.
Viewed 1236 times by 308 viewers0