Kano state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris has given detailed account how Kano Resident Electoral Commissioner of the Independent his family died in fire inferno, ruling out sabotage and assassination.
CP Idris established that the REC, his wife and two daughters were suffocated to death as a result of inhalation of black smoke, resulting from a fire outbreak at the Masters Bedroom, caused by electrical fault.
The dead bodies have already been taken to Dutse, Jigawa state, for burial.
Journalists including our Correspondent were led to the scene of the incident located at No.2 Sir Kashim Ibrahim Road, Nassarawa GRA, about 400 metres away from Kano Government House, by Police image maker, ASP Magaji Musa Majia.
Giving graphic account of the incident, CP Idris said: “Today (Friday) at about 4:30 a.m., the police men on guard duty at the official residence of the Resident Electoral Commissioner Kano state, Alhaji Munkaila Abdullahi located at No. 2 Sir Kashim Ibrahim Road, Nassarawa GRA, Kano, observed a fire emanating from split A/C in the sitting room.
“They make several attempt to get in touch with him including banging the doors and breaking some of the toilets windows but he was not responding. The police men and local guards broke the door leading to the sitting room, and discovered the sitting room was engulfed by fire and smoke.
“They then went to the side of the door leading to the masters bedroom, broke the door and entered; they were not inside the bed room and the Police then went to the bathroom, inside the master bedroom and found the REC, his wife and his two daughters unconscious on the floor.
“They quickly removed them to Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital where the Doctor confirmed them dead. The Doctor confirmed the family died from inhalation of hot and black smoke.
“Meanwhile, the detectives attached to SCID sealed the scene and together with the fire service men have commenced thorough investigation into the fire incident.”
Viewed 1935 times by 672 viewers