by Eniola Akinkuotu


One person was killed at a pub in Lagos on Tuesday night after a fight broke out between fans of Barcelona and Chelsea football clubs, while two others suspected to be Chelsea fans drove dangerously after the match resulting in a fatal accident.
PUNCH Metro learnt that John Idoko, a 23-year-old boy, was stabbed to death at a makeshift pub at Shiro Bus Stop, Boundary Road, Shasha.

It was learnt that the outcome of the football match, which favoured Chelsea FC, did not go down well with some Barcelona’s supporters.

According to police authorities, an altercation, degenerated into fisticuffs and supporters of the two clubs some of whom were drunk, soon engaged in a free-for-all.

The spokesperson for the state police command, Mr. Joseph Jaiyeoba, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on the telephone. He, however, added that no arrests had been made as no witness had come forward.

He said, “On Tuesday, around 10pm, a report reached Shasha Police Division that one John Idoko was stabbed to death with a broken bottle during a match between Chelsea and Barcelona football clubs.

“The owner of the pub said almost all her property was damaged during the fight as the fans went crazy. We don’t even know if Idoko was a fan of Chelsea or Barcelona

“No arrest has been made as witnesses have refused to come forward but investigations are ongoing.”

Jaiyeoba warned fun seekers to be careful when celebrating and remember their loved ones at home.

The spokesperson also warned members of the public that the use of explosives such as banger, would not been tolerated anymore.

He said celebration should be carried out in a peaceful manner, warning that the police would not tolerate any form of unruly behaviour.

“The use of banger is illegal as well as any form of disturbing public peace,” he said.

Meanwhile, the two people who died in the accident were driving dangerously in a commercial bus, popularly known as danfo, after the match.

Witnesses said the occupants were fans of Chelsea FC celebrating their club’s victory.

Jaiyeoba confirmed the two deaths but said it was uncertain whether they were football fans or not.

“Around 11:30pm, a Volkswagen bus somersaulted and caught fire around Ojota end of Ikorodu Road inward Maryland. The two occupants were burnt to death” he said.


Viewed 3174 times by 1281 viewers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Post Navigation