By Ike Abonyi  and Ibrahim Shuaibu

 


Not even the new National Security Adviser (NSA) retired Col Sambo Dasuki is in a position to say when and how the menace of the dreaded Islamic sect Boko Haram will end.

National Security Adviser (NSA) , Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd)

The new NSA in a statement Friday expressed optimism that the menace will soon end but would not give any timeline to end the crisis.

Also Friday, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Azubuike Ihejirika promised to deploy more troops to Kano to halt the Boko Haram attacks in the state.

Dasuki in a statement issued by his Special Assistant on Media, Karounwi Adekunle denied reports quoting him as putting a timeline to the end of Boko Haram.

The NSA who is on tour of some states where Boko Haram attacks have been rampant was quoted in some media reports to have said that an end will come to Boko Haram hostility before the commencement of Ramadan Fast.

However, Adekunle said: “The NSA never at any forum in Potiskum and Damaturu, both in Yobe State or in Maiduguri, Borno State said he will bring an end to the sect’s hostility before the start of Ramadan Fast. His cogent message in all the meetings he’s held so far with some stakeholders is the need for leaders to reach out and prevail on Boko Haram members to cease fire so as to create room for dialogue.”

“This clarification has become necessary to avoid further spread of this misinformation and unnecessary insinuations.”

During the visit to the two troubled states, Dasuki sympathized with citizens and assured them of the Federal Government’s determination to find a peaceful and lasting solution to the Boko Haram menace.

Dasuki had also appealed to residents to co-operate with security agencies by providing information while assuring informants of protection and the highest level of confidentiality.

Meanwhile, the COAS who was in Kano to mark this year’s Army Day, told journalists after his one day visit to the state that the military has been tackling the daunting challenges in some parts of the country with utmost professionalism.

“I’m happy with the troops sent to the state (Kano) to provide security. They have been tackling the security challenges with utmost professionalism.

“I’ve always cautioned my men to always show professionalism and protect women, children and other law abiding citizens, whom they have been doing even at the time we lose our men in some operations.”

The chief of army staff also expressed appreciation with Kano State Government for its support to the military and further commended sister security agencies for their co-operation.

According to him, the security challenge facing the country was “a contemporary challenge”, which will soon give way pointing out that his vision was to transform the Nigerian army so that it can face the challenges adequately.

The COAS who later addressed the troops, gave them a pat on the back and assured them of continued training exercise; improved welfare and immediate replacement from the field to enable them rest and meet their family members.

The chief of army staff had earlier paid a courtesy visits on the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, the state governor, Dr. Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso as well as commissioned the magnificent office complex of the 3rd Brigade, Kano.

The Emir, Alhaji Ado Bayero, who was represented by Wamban Kano, Alhaji Abbas Sanusi assured the army chief of the emirate’s readiness to co-operate with the military in bringing back peace to the state.

On his part, the state governor, Dr. Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso also assured of government’s readiness at supporting the military to achieve the goal of bringing lasting peace to the state.

 

Viewed 3994 times by 1465 viewers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation