The Nigerian Union in South Africa on Tuesday reported fresh xenophobic attacks against Nigerians and other foreigners in Sternkopf, Namakwa Municipality, Northern Cape Province of South Africa.
President of the union, Ikechukwu Anyene, said in Pretoria, South Africa, that the Northern Cape Province chapter chairman of the union reported the incident.
“The national secretariat of Nigerian Union has received reports of xenophobic attacks from Mr. Kennedy Osagie, the Northern Cape Province chapter chairman of the union.
“The report indicated that South Africans attacked Nigerians. Two cars belonging to Nigerians have been reportedly burnt and they have been going from house to house looting and destroying property,” he said.
Anyene, who said that there were 20 Nigerians living in the affected community, added that none had been reported dead in the incident.
“Six Nigerians have taken refuge with their families in nearby Springbok community and they do not know the whereabouts of the other Nigerians,” he said.
He stated that the Nigerian Union had reported the incident to the Nigerian Consulate in South Africa.
Nigeria’s Consul-General in South Africa, Uche Ajulu-Okeke, confirmed the incident, saying the mission had commenced investigations.
“The Nigerian Consulate in South Africa has received report of new xenophobic attacks in Northern Cape Province of South Africa.
“The mission has commenced investigation into the incident and will ensure that Nigerians are safe in South Africa,” she said.
Viewed 1664 times by 762 viewers