President Goodluck Jonathan has said his administration will ensure that the menace of the Boko Haram Islamic sect in Nigeria will soon be crushed.
Jonathan gave the assurance in Paris on Thursday at the opening ceremony of the biennial Honourary International Investors Council Meeting (HIIC), in his capacity as the Chairman of the council.
“With the renewed vigour by Nigeria’s security agencies to curb the menace of Boko Haram, the existence of the group in the shores of Nigeria will soon be history,” he said.
The President decried the hijacking of Boko Haram by prominent politicians, describing the development as “unfortunate”.
“There must be concrete evidence before you make an arrest to avoid blackmail of the government because when very senior politicians are involved such as a distinguished senator one must get his facts right.
“Unfortunately, a serving senator, a distinguished senator is one of the suspects,” the President said.
Jonathan, however, assured members of the council and the international community that his administration was on top of the security situation in the country, saying that the “tide of the political Boko Haram would be stemmed” soon.
He disclosed that many arrests had been made which led to the wiping out of a cell of the group from Niger State, assuring that Nigeria’s security operatives were working round the clock to clean-up Borno State of the notorious criminal group.
Viewed 9218 times by 2702 viewers