Ahead of the May 29 Presidential inauguration, President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered the removal of the campaign billboards, banners and posters with Jonathan/Sambo inscriptions.
The order is contained in a release issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr Reuben Abati, in Abuja.
The release said that the order was because the 2015 Presidential Election had been concluded and the country preparing for the inauguration of a new administration on May 29.
It said Jonathan believed that it was appropriate that steps be taken to restore the environment in Nigerian cities, towns and villages to their pre-elections campaign state.
“Accordingly, President Jonathan directs that the PDP Presidential Campaign Organisation and the various associations that coalesced into the Jonathan/Sambo Support Group immediately begin the process of removing the posters, billboards and banners.
The release noted that the signs and other campaign materials in support of Jonathan’s re-election bid still adorned the landscape in major cities across the country.
“The president thanks all individuals and organisations who made sincere contributions and worked with immense dedication for the Jonathan/ Sambo Campaign.
“He applauds his supporters and other Nigerians for the disciplined, patriotic and democratic manner in which they comported themselves before, during and after the elections.
“Now that the elections are over except for re-runs in a few states, President Jonathan urges Nigerians to put the recent political campaigns behind them,’’ the release said.
It called on Nigerians to “join hands with the incoming administration in working for a more united, peaceful, stable and progressive nation.
Viewed 1801 times by 697 viewers