By Alex Enumah
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) yesterday released the results of the 2012 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) conducted last week Saturday, while withholding that of 25,169 candidates for different offences.
The Registrar of JAMB, Professor Dibu Ojerinde who announced the release of the result in Abuja yesterday, said the decision to withhold the results was based on allegation of extortion by those he described as greedy supervisors and proprietors in 52 centres across the federation.
“In the 2012 UTME, we had some disturbing news of extortion of innocent candidates by greedy proprietors, supervisors and invigilators. We assure the public that all these persons would be brought to book, just as I make bold to say that JAMB will not spare any culpable persons.”
He said results were withheld in 24 centres in Rivers State, followed by Lagos with 11, Imo 6, Benue 3, Cross River 2, Delta 2 and Nasarawa 1.
The JAMB registrar said the board was currently investigating the issue and that the results would either be released or canceled within the next two weeks “depending on the outcome of its findings.”
A breakdown of the results showed that out of 1,384,644 results released, only about 72,243 scored above 250 with three candidates scoring above 300, while 336,330 candidates had less than 169.
Ojerinde stated that the exam which took place in 3,001 centres in 375 towns in Nigeria and six foreign countries was a huge success, adding that the introduction of bio-metrics and thumb printing helped in eradicating impersonation and exam malpractices. “Examination malpractice is going down; we recorded less than one percent.”
While noting that in 2012, the board discovered new tricks where candidates embedded handsets into their shoes, Ojerinde added, “we also know that those engaging in exams malpractice will not stop at nothing in achieving their aims; we say no matter how smart they think they are, they would be fished out.”
According to the registrar, a total of 1,503,931 candidates sat for the 2012 UTME of which 140 are visually impaired. He said 49 Albinos, whom he disclosed were given special treatment, while about 181 prisoners – mainly from the Kaduna and Ikoyi prisons – also took part.
Further statistics revealed that 833,082 of the candidates (55.78%) were males while 660,522 (44.22%) were females.
Ojerinde disclosed that Imo, Delta, Anambra, Osun, Oyo, Ogun states in that order, had the highest number of applicants, while the FCT, Sokoto, Zamfara, Yobe, Kebbi and Jigawa in that order were the states with the lowest number of applicants.
Ojerinde, while advising candidates to check their results on the internet using scratch cards earlier used during registration, said a committee would be set up in June to determine this year’s cut-off point.
He said many candidates are denied admissions beca-use of their choice of course, institution and attitude noting that the University of Lagos had 83,865 applicants but could only accommodate about 9,507.
Ojerinde said: “The UTME was created in 2012 in order to increase access to tertiary education. However, our experience this time is consistent with the previous trends – that Nigerians have a higher preference for universities ahead of other tertiary institutions.”
Viewed 2586 times by 957 viewers