Most petrol stations in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) had complied with Federal Government’s directive to sell petrol at N86 per litre for NNPC retail stations and N86.50k for other marketers.
A correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) who went round the town reports that all the stations visited had enough products, as well as standby trucks loaded with the petrol.
NAN also reports that the stations visited such as Conoil, Oando, total and Mobil filling stations within the city centre witnessed very low patronage.
Mr Suleiman Mohammed, the Sales Representative of NNPC retail station and a Supervisor of FCT retail stations, said that the directive took effect from 12 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2016.
Mohammed said all NNPC stations in the FCT have substantially complied with the new directive. Read More →
Posted By: GEORGE OJI
…says increment to avert future scarcity
The Senate has added N108bn to the N413bn contained in the supplementary appropriation request sent to it by President Muhamadu Buhari for approval for the payment of outstanding fuel subsidy to oil marketers.
The addition, which was proposed by the Senate Appropriation Committee yesterday, is to cover fuel subsidy for the last quarter of this year.
This new addition has therefore brought the total outstanding fuel subsidy requirement to N521bn. The lawmakers explained that the new addition was not part of the N413bn requested for by the President. Read More →
Uyo – The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), Eket Office, on Monday gave petrol marketers in Akwa Ibom, three days to revert to N87 pump price or face sanctions.
The DPR Operations Controller in the state, Mr Asuquo Antai, said in an interview in Uyo, that there was no reason for the hike in pump price by the marketers.
Antai said three million litres of petrol was supplied to the state last week, as such there was no excuse for the current scarcity of the product.
He warned that the department would seal any petrol station for three months if found selling the product above the official price.
“From Thursday Nov. 5, no retail outlet should sell above government approved price of N87 per litre.
“Any filling station that sells above the price will be shut for three months and defaulters will have to pay fine before being reopened for business.
“Any retail outlet that cannot sell for N87 per litre should close because we are going to monitor them strictly to ensure compliance,” Antai said.
He lamented that some major marketers, including operators of NNPC mega stations, also divert the product allocated to them for higher gain.
The controller also warned depot managers collaborating with some marketers to shortchange Nigerians, to stop forthwith or regret their action. Read More →
Former President Goodluck Jonathan, his then defence minister, Aliyu Gusau, former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke and the immediate past Chief of Naval Staff, Usman Jubrin, an admiral, may soon have to answer questions on an alleged N2.4billion house boats rent scandal for the Nigerian Navy.
An ongoing investigation into the conducts of officials of the immediate past administration indicate that Mr. Jonathan instructed Mrs. Alison-Maduekwe to release funds from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation to the defence chiefs to rent 13 House Boats to fight oil theft in the Niger Delta.
The boats were hired for N2.4 billion, an amount experts believe is more than enough for the country to buy the boats outright.
Authoritative security sources investigating alleged financial misdeeds of the Jonathan administration said their market surveys showed the boats rented for that princely sum could have been acquired for keeps at N100million each, bringing the total cost to N1.3billion.
Our sources said the decision to rent the boats was taken by the former defence minister, Mr. Gusau, and some of the recently retired service chiefs without seeking the advice of military officers familiar with such procurement, including those on the ground in the Niger Delta area, who were of the opinion that the cost of renting the boats was too high. Read More →
The ongoing probe of the immediate past administration by President Muhammadu Buhari is to beam its searchlight on the alleged purchase of three mobile stages, costing $6.9m, by former President Goodluck Jonathan and two of his officials, a Presidency source has said.
According to a document, which was obtained from the Presidency on Saturday, the deal, which is now a subject of investigation, was allegedly carried out by Jonathan; his Chief Security Officer, Mr. Gordon Obuah; and former Minister of Petroleum, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke.
The fund was said to have been withdrawn from one of the numerous accounts of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.
The $6.9m (about N1.37bn) was said to have been withdrawn for the purpose of buying three pieces of 40-feet mobile stages for use by Jonathan during mass public speaking events.
According to the document, apart from the fact that the sum for the stages was “incredibly inflated”, there is currently no evidence that the stages were bought since the money was withdrawn.
The document read, “While the cost of mobile stages ranges in sizes and designs, only outlandish rock star musicians in Europe and the US spend hundreds of thousands on their huge stages way bigger than the 40-feet stages. Read More →
Ademola Babalola in Ibadan
Active collaboration of security agents, influential Nigerians who act as godfathers and lack of state-of-the-art weapons to tackle pipeline vandals are the reasons the illicit business continues to thrive in the country.
These were the findings of the researchers at the Criminology unit, Department of Sociology, University of Ibadan. They indicted men of the police force, Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), among others, in the ceaseless pipeline vandalization which had cost the country billions of naira in revenue generation and provision of security to tackle the menace.
According to the researchers, “super rich Nigerians are sponsoring oil pipeline vandalisation at Arepo community, Ogun state.”
In a research report titled “Social organization of Oil pipeline Vandalism in Arepo Community, Ogun state” by Dr Oludayo Tade and Ayodele Austin, the researchers called on the Inspector general of police, Solomon Arase to probe the complicity of its men posted to work at Arepo for allegedly working with money bags, corrupt staff of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) staff who aid pipeline vandalisation. Read More →
Twenty-four hours after the Federal Government replaced the Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, it announced the sacking of all the eight executive directors of the corporation.
This was confirmed by the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Mr. Ohi Alegbe, in a statement on Wednesday night in Abuja.
Alegbe said in the statement, “The Federal Government has approved the retirement of all eight group executive directors of the NNPC with immediate effect. Read More →