By: Olayinka Olukoya and Lekan Yinusa
FORMER President Olusegun Obasanjo has denied rumour doing the rounds that he was shot by unknown gunmen, saying that nothing of such happened to him.
The former president, at the weekend, had given the hand of one of his daughters, Bunmi, in marriage at his Hill Top residence in Abeokuta, an occasion attended by Nigerians from all walks of life.
Obasanjo, who spoke to newsmen in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, on Monday at about 3.01 p.m., said he was also aware of the rumour being spread around by people but confirmed that it was not true, thus putting to rest, the development which had been generating confusion among people since Sunday.
The former president, who spoke on the phone from his office at the Obasanjo Holdings, Quarry Road, Abeokuta, told journalists that nothing happened to him and commended their efforts at seeking the truth before disseminating the information to members of the public.
The former president said: “I think you can recognise my voice; I am in my office in Agbeloba. I thank you for taking the trouble to find out. Thank you very much. I also heard that I am dead but there is nothing wrong with me; I can assure you of that,” he said.
In a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), also on Monday, the former president said: “I dey kampe,” meaning ‘I am alive and well’.
“This morning, I went to do community work at Pakoto near Ifo.
“I have since returned to Abeokuta and have attended a meeting on the (Presidential) Library,” Obasanjo said.
He thanked all those who had expressed concern over his safety, adding that in the belief of his Yoruba people, it meant that he still has many more years to live.
Viewed 55086 times by 11713 viewers