Jul 10 2012
by John Ameh, Abuja
“I see myself and the police as co-partners in the fight against corruption,” the lawmaker told The PUNCH in Abuja.
According to Jagaba, as the chairman of the committee, which oversees the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, he will not be doing the nation any good if he withholds information from an investigation agency.
Jagaba confirmed that he was aware of a letter sent to the Speaker, Mr. Aminu Tambuwal, requesting him to assist the police with information.
He, however, deplored the “weeks of unfounded speculations” over a purported ultimatum given to him by the police to appear before them or he would be arrested.
Jagaba said, “First, they said that I had been invited and given an ultimatum. That is not true.
“Again, they claimed that I was in the country on Friday; that is not true.
“I just returned to the country this morning (yesterday) from South Africa.
“I arrived about 9.30am and I went home to shower.
“What I can say is that I will go to see the police as soon as possible and I will cooperate with them to avail the police of information that will assist in fighting corruption.
“There is no definite date on when I will go to the police.
“What happened was that they (police) followed the procedure to serve the speaker (invitation letter) and since the speaker has seen it, it means that I have seen it.”
It will be recalled that Lawan had claimed that he handed over the bribe money to Jagaba to forward to the leadership of the House.
He also claimed to have reported the bribery to Jagaba through a letter he wrote to him in April.
But Jagaba vehemently denied ever receiving any letter or the bribe exhibit from Lawan. It is still unclear where the $620,000 is.
Meanwhile, the House has said the report of its Committee on Ethics and Privileges on the bribery allegation would not be released in “piecemeal.”
A member of the committee, Mr. Ibrahim Bello, was quoted as saying on Sunday that Otedola disowned the video of the bribery transaction in circulation.
He claimed that Otedola told the committee when he appeared before it last week that the video did not originate from him.
However, counsel for Otedola on Monday, debunked claims that their client disowned the video.
In a statement, Babajide Koku, SAN, said, “For the avoidance of doubt, we wish to state categorically that the statement credited to Ibrahim Bello is entirely false and calculated to misrepresent and misinform the public as to what transpired during the closed door hearing held by the House Committee on the 3rd of July, 2012.
“We wish to state further that there are video and audio recordings corroborating our client’s account of what transpired between him and Farouk Lawan.”
Viewed 703 times by 256 viewers0