From Njadvara Musa, Maiduguri
Barely 24 hours after attacking a military post of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in Maiduguri, gunmen again attacked a Mosque Thursday night and shot dead a member of the Borno Emirate Traditional Council (BETC), Zanna Kaselama.
Confirming the incident yesterday in Maiduguri, spokesman of JTF, Lt.Col Sagir Musa, in a telephone conversation said: “Yes, one person who was praying in a mosque last night was shot dead in Maiduguri by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.”
He said no arrests had been made by either the JTF or Police, but that the area had been cordoned off to prevent further attacks.
Meanwhile, the JTF in Borno State has denied the alleged perpetration of genocide by the security task force in
Maiduguri and Damaturu. The force said the its activities over suspected gunmen of Boko Haram sect were to restore order and protect lives and property.
Apparently reacting to Borno Elders Forum’s (BEF) allegations that JTF activities have continued to lead to genocide, spokesman of the task force, Lt. Col Sagir Musa, said: “…there has never been a recorded or an established case of genocide against the JTF in Maiduguri.
“We operate and will continue to operate within the mandate and powers approved by appropriate superior authority with utmost respect to the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
In a statement titled: A Passionate Appeal for Restrain, signed by BEF chairman, Alhaji Shettima Ali Monguno, read in part: “Nobody
seems to care even as the fasting Muslims were killed, maimed, robbed, or displaced. It is indeed pathetic and unfortunate that such a situation will be allowed to happen to innocent Muslims. The blood of the innocent flows and they are on their own.
“The killings run into hundreds, and it seems the people are facing genocide.”
Some residents of Maiduguri yesterday told The Guardian that security forces were secretly burying bodies of civilians killed in the crisis
in mass graves, because Specialists Hospital morgues are overstretched.
A resident of Abaganaram, Mallam Nuhu Isa, said: “There have also been
killings of civilians blamed on the Boko Haram sect itself, as well as criminal activities apparently by people who are exploiting the
situation to engage in robberies.”
On the fleeing residents, Monguno said: “We are equally calling for the return of the fleeing masses to their homes. We wish to request
the JTF and the government to quickly facilitate their return to enable them celebrate the forthcoming Eid el-Fitr Sallah in their
Viewed 3362 times by 1099 viewers